Garbage and Recycling Information
The Rock Rapids Municipal Utilities includes the charge for garbage and recycling collection on the monthly billing. The City of Rock
Rapids oversees this service and sets billing policies. If you have questions regarding garbage or recycling collection, please call
472-2553 or contact them by e-mail.
Garbage is picked up every Monday morning beginning at 4:00 A.M. Each household will be provided
a 65-gallon garbage cart by their garbage hauler. The carts are owned by Denny’s Sanitation and Town & Country. The numbered carts
are assigned to a specific residence and must remain at that residence.
The guidelines for using the carts are:
· Set your cart curbside,
in the same location each week, with the wheels and
handle toward your house.
· The carts need to be 5 feet
from any other obstacle (trees, cars, poles, etc.)
· All garbage must be inside the cart, with the lid closed.
Yard waste (grass clippings,
leaves, brush, or garden trash) is not to be mixed with garbage. This waste should be taken to the tree dump, east of the fairgrounds.
Rock Rapids has a mandatory recycling program. The City of Rock Rapids provides a large, specially marked yellow or green garbage
can to be used when placing recyclables out for collection. Recycling is unlimited - feel free to recycle as much as possible every
Recycled items are picked up on the first and third Thursdays of each month. Please make sure your recyclables are clean and
dry. Place your container out for collection by 6:00 A.M. Refer to the calendar for the exact dates of recycling collection.
that can be recycled are:
· Corrugated cardboard
· Newspapers, including all inserts
· Catalogs, Magazines, Phone Books & Hardcover
& Paperback books,
with covers removed (broken down into 1/2” thick sections)
· Copy/computer/shiny paper
· School papers
· Junk mail
· Shredded paper, bagged separately
· Brown grocery bags
· Cereal, shoe, pop, kleenix (etc.)
boxes (fiber board)
· Paper egg cartons
· Aluminum foil containers (wrap, pie plates, pans, etc.)
· Aluminum & Tin cans
& Beer cans
· Pop & Water bottles
· Clear and colored plastic bottles, with lids removed
· Ice cream tubs & yogurt cups
· Any plastic container with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 on the bottom
Please do not include the following in your recycling:
· No Glass!
· Facial tissues
· Wax paper
· Plastic wrap
· Frozen food & juice boxes
· Wax-coated cardboard
· Aerosol cans
· Paint cans
· Plastic grocery bags (take these back to the grocery store)
· Bread bags
· Styrofoam & packing peanuts
· Rigid plastic
· Tupperware containers
· Fast food containers
· Medical waste
310 S Third Ave.
Rock Rapids, IA 51246
Ph: (712) 472-2511
Fax: (712) 472-2512
8:00 - 4:30
Closed Weekends & Holidays